Monday, April 27, 2009

This nice little old lady was with her husband who was getting his chemo treatment the same time as Jimmy. She had gone to the cafe and got her husband a sandwich and chips to eat. Jimmy had just finished a ham and cheese sandwich I had got for him in the same cafe.......
He was still hungry. He ask me to go get him another sandwich from the cafe. This sweet little lady offered him her sandwich. (Now would you take the sandwich she had offered) NO. But Jimmy says ok, I'll have it. She brings it over and gives him chips to go with it, and offered him the cookie too, I think. We laughed that he had taken the sweet little old lady's food. He thought nothing of it - and you know why? Because he would have given them his sandwich. It was a moment to laugh and know that in the midst of trials, we can always find something to laugh about. And her success story is that she had thyroid cancer 20 years ago. She is a cancer survivor. Her husband is 75 years old and takes chemo treatments every 3 months for the rest of his life. He had some blood disorder of some kind. Taking the chemo to PREVENT cancer. He was going to go start his garden that week. As we visit with the people in the clinic that are there for the same reason as we are, we find people that appreciate the simple things of life, little acts of kindness, and hope for a better day. Our trials sometime come to us and bring blessings at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. That's my dad, taking food from little old ladies!! Actually, mom is right---dad would give anyone anything. I admire that in my dad, he is a very giving person and has always been that way--setting the example for me as I have grown up. I remember him giving people a place to sleep, building a house for the missionaries to stay in at our branch in Texas so they would have better accomodations--they even lived with us for a while. Dad is one of the most giving people I know, so....I'm sure he thought nothing of taking the sandwich, he would surely give his food to anyone! Love ya dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really cracks me up. But it's not hard at all for me to imagine him doing that.

    I'll second Lisa - Jimmy is the most giving person!! He really looks at service & leaves no judgements.

    Thanks for being such a great FIL Jimmy!!

    ReplyDelete